Quotes from Buddha are probably one of the most profound and precise quotes you can find if you’re looking for word of wisdom. Buddha quotes have included many different topics, which include anger, life, death, love, truth and friendship. Over the years, I’ve come across in several Buddha quotes in different websites and social media. Most of them are really inspiring and enlightening.
I remember when I faced a certain struggle in my life, I searched for quotes that could be fit to describe how I feel that time. I stumbled upon different quotes but Buddha’s stand out. Well, that’s not surprising since Buddha is known for his enlightening words of wisdom. So, to share the inspiration I got from the quotes by Buddha, I’ve come up with my own collection of his quotes. I hope they inspire and enlighten you too.
Buddha Quotes with Images
Give, even if you only have a little.
The mind is everything. What you think you become.
Attachment leads to suffering.
Born out of concern for all beings.
I am the miracle.
When you like a flower, you just pluck it. But when you love a flower, you water it daily.
Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.
You only lose what you cling to.
A jug fills drop by drop.
Ambition is like love, impatient both of delays and rivals.
One who acts on truth is happy in this world and beyond.
Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.
It is a man’s own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.
The tongue is like a sharp knife… Kills without drawing blood.
The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart.
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self.
Set your heart on doing good. Do it over and over again, and you will be filled with joy.
Whatever has the nature of arising has the nature of ceasing.
Live every act fully, as if it were your last.
Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.
Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
Love is a gift of one’s inner most soul to another so both can be whole.
Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.
There is no fear for one whose mind is not filled with desires.
If you truly loved yourself, you could never hurt another.
There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it.
Even as a solid rock is unshaken by the wind, so are the wise unshaken by praise or blame.
Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.
Nothing can harm you as much as your own thoughts unguarded.
You yourself must strive. The Buddhas only point the way.
Meditate… do not delay, lest you later regret it.
Life is so very difficult. How can we be anything but kind?
Ardently do today what must be done. Who knows? Tomorrow, death comes.
If you find no one to support you on the spiritual path, walk alone.
What you are is what you have been. What you’ll be is what you do now.
If you propose to speak always ask yourself, is it true, is it necessary, is it kind.
There is no path to happiness: happiness is the path.
Happiness comes when your work and words are of benefit to yourself and others.
Doubt everything. Find your own light.
Be where you are; otherwise you will miss your life.
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
True love is born from understanding.
Chaos is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence.
Virtue is persecuted more by the wicked than it is loved by the good.
Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Purity or impurity depends on oneself. No one can purify another.
One moment can change a day, one day can change a life and one life can change the world.
If we fail to look after others when they need help, who will look after us?
Famous Buddha Quotes and Sayings
- To support mother and father, to cherish wife and child and to have a simple livelihood; this is the good luck.
- To live a pure unselfish life, one must count nothing as one’s own in the midst of abundance.
- She who knows life flows, feels no wear or tear, needs no mending or repair.
- An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
- Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.
- To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.
- Should a seeker not find a companion who is better or equal, let them resolutely pursue a solitary course.
- If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change.
- Radiate boundless love towards the entire world.Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it.
- Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes.
Inspirational Buddha Quotes
- No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
- We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
- Just as the great ocean has one taste, the taste of salt, so also this teaching and discipline has one taste, the taste of liberation.
- The one in whom no longer exist the craving and thirst that perpetuate becoming; how could you track that Awakened one, trackless, and of limitless range.
- Long is the night to him who is awake; long is a mile to him who is tired; long is life to the foolish who do not know the true law.
- Whatever precious jewel there is in the heavenly worlds, there is nothing comparable to one who is Awakened.
- Like a fine flower, beautiful to look at but without scent, fine words are fruitless in a man who does not act in accordance with them.
- Our theories of the eternal are as valuable as are those which a chick which has not broken its way through its shell might form of the outside world.
- When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.
- An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea.
Buddha Quotes on Change
- It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.
- However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?
- Stop, stop. Do not speak. The ultimate truth is not even to think.
- You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
- Let all-embracing thoughts for all beings be yours.
- Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
- As rain falls equally on the just and the unjust, do not burden your heart with judgments but rain your kindness equally on all.
- He who loves 50 people has 50 woes; he who loves no one has no woes.
- Kindness should become the natural way of life, not the exception.
- Speak only endearing speech, speech that is welcomed. Speech, when it brings no evil to others, is a pleasant thing.
Buddha Quotes Sayings
- One is not called noble who harms living beings. By not harming living beings one is called noble.
- Being deeply learned and skilled, being well trained and using well spoken words: this is good luck.
- Just as a mother would protect her only child with her life, even so let one cultivate a boundless love towards all beings.
- In whom there is no sympathy for living beings: know him as an outcast.
- The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
- Men, driven on by thirst, run about like a snared hare; let therefore mendicant drive out thirst, by striving after passionlessness for himself.
- Those attached to the notion ‘I am’ and to views roam the world offending people.
- The instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.
- He is able who thinks he is able.
- Delight in heedfulness! Guard well your thoughts!
Buddha Quotes on Karma
- There is nothing so disobedient as an undisciplined mind, and there is nothing so obedient as a disciplined mind.
- All experiences are preceded by mind, having mind as their master, created by mind.
- All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?
- Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought.
- If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow.
- What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow: Our life is the creation of our mind.
- The one who has conquered himself is a far greater hero than he who has defeated a thousand times a thousand men.
- Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
- Should a person do good, let him do it again and again. Let him find pleasure therein, for blissful is the accumulation of good.
- Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
Buddha Quotes on Change
- Resolutely train yourself to attain peace.
- Just as a snake sheds its skin, we must shed our past over and over again.
- A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity.
- Whatever a monk keeps pursuing with his thinking and pondering, that becomes the inclination of his awareness.
- Meditate. Live purely. Be quiet. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine.
- I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.
- The greatest gift is to give people your enlightenment, to share it. It has to be the greatest.
- When watching after yourself, you watch after others. When watching after others, you watch after yourself.
- Unity can only be manifested by the Binary. Unity itself and the idea of Unity are already two.
- The wise ones fashioned speech with their thought, sifting it as grain is sifted through a sieve.
- The virtues, like the Muses, are always seen in groups. A good principle was never found solitary in any breast.
- Irrigators channel waters; fletchers straighten arrows; carpenters bend wood; the wise master themselves.
- Drop by drop is the water pot filled. Likewise, the wise man, gathering it little by little, fills himself with good.
- The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.
- A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise.
Let yourself be open and life will be easier.
A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable.
A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed.
Reverence, humility, contentment,
Gratitude and hearing the good Dhamma,
This is the best good luck.
The way is not in the sky.
The way is in the heart.
Health is the greatest gift,
Contentment the greatest wealth,
Faithfulness the best relationship.